Monday, March 28, 2011

Go Green: Reusable Shopping Bags!

In an effort to stop wasting so many plastic grocery sacks, we bought some reusable bags a long time ago, but slowly they have disappeared. We use them for toting everything, not just our groceries. Today, I bought some nice sturdy canvas ones on sale for $1.50 at my local Kroger and I intend on keeping them in my trunk for groceries only. We typically unload about 20-25 plastic bags worth of groceries every time we go shopping. Today, my groceries fit into 4 of the canvas bags. AND those 4 bags were much easier to carry out with an infant seat taking up most of my grocery cart space. I could throw a couple over my shoulder and stick one underneath the cart.

My $6 investement will help save hundreds (maybe thousands?) of plastic shopping bags. These plastic bags are made from polyethylene,which is derived from natural gas and petroleum, and can take up to 100 years to decompose. If you do choose to use the disposable bags, recycle them! Most grocery stores, including Wal-Mart and Whole Foods will recycle them for you. Just take them back to the store the next time you go. Easy Peasy.

Even better than purchasing them, you can make your own from old t-shirts or pillowcases. Find 45 different tutorials for making your own reusable shopping bags here.

There are eco-friendly alternatives for snack baggies and produce bags as well! I love this Etsy shop that makes reusable snack bags. Here is one of my faves:

Hedgehog Meadow and Polka Dot Eco Friendly Reusable Sandwich and Snack Bag Set

It's only $12 for the set! I love this shop for reusable produce bags. How cute are these pink mesh drawstring bags? $9 for a set of 6 in all different sizes.



One day, I hope to add reusable snack baggies to my Etsy shop. But in the meantime, I might have to order some of these adorable ones :)

No comments:

Post a Comment