Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Transitioning my baby to his own room :(

My little guy is almost 5 months old and has been sleeping in his pack n play bassinet in our room since he was born. I just havent been ready to move him down the hall. I still wake up several times a night and check to see if he is breathing. I am such a worrier. He is still a terrible sleeper at 5 months, though, so we are trying to get him to sleep better through the night. He still wakes up 4-5 times a night. Sometimes I can soothe him back to sleep by patting his butt or turning on his white noise Sleep Sheep (AMAZING invention), but he still wants to eat 2-3 times throughout the night.

This is bittersweet for me. On one hand, I am ready for him to be in his own room and I think it will help get him to sleep better through the night... but on the other, it makes me a nervous wreck to have him across the house and it breaks my heart to try to let him try to cry it out in the middle of the night. We tried this tonight and after 30 minutes we gave in and went to give him a bottle. His little eyes were so swollen from crying that I almost started crying myself. But it is definitely time...

So, last night we put him to bed around 9. Kind of late for a baby, I know... But we are night owls and would rather have him sleep in a little later than go to bed super early. My husband works late sometimes, too, so if we put him down earlier, he wouldn't have any time with him. We gave him a warm lavender bath, read him a book, gave him some cereal and a bottle, and then put him down. He fussed for about 20 minutes and then went to sleep. He woke up again around 11:30 when we were just laying to to bed. We decided to try to let him cry it out because we knew he wasn't starving, and it was a success. 2o minutes later he had soothed himself back to sleep. We were not so lucky at 1:30 when he woke up again. After about 20 minutes of crying we realized he was not going to go back to bed and I went and gave him a bottle. I only gave him 2oz, though, and he normally gets 4-5oz. This seemed to satisfy him and he went right back to sleep.

He woke up AGAIN at 4:30 and I had to give him another bottle...This time I gave him 3oz hoping it would fill him up enough to sleep the rest of the night. He went right back to sleep again and woke up at 8. He cried for about 5 minutes and soothed himself back to sleep and woke up for good at 9.

I have had several people suggest the Baby Wise method to me in the past couple of days. I haven't read up on it yet, but evidently you feed them like clockwork every 3 hours during the day. I guess the theory is that if you keep them full during the day, they will be satisfied enough to sleep through the night. So I gave Logan bigger bottles throughout the day today 5-6oz hoping that it would do the trick. Tonight he fell asleep at 8 in his daddys arms, only to wake up again at 9:30. We gave him a bigger bottle and some cereal and he went back down without fussing. Heres hoping it does the trick! I'll let you guys know tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment