Tuesday, February 22, 2011

More on Cloth Wipes


We transitioned to cloth wipes much later than we started cloth diapering. I figured that disposable wipes didnt cost that much, compared to diapers, so we would just keep using them. I was wrong. Every poopy diaper I had to use like 10 wipes, so we were going through them quickly. Plus, I wanted to use the organic kind to avoid unneccessary lotions, scents and chemicals. They are even more expensive than the regular ones.

Using disposable wipes and cloth diapers together proved to be such a hassle. At first I just left the disposable wipes in with my diapers and threw them all in the washing machine together. So i got to pick  all the disposable wipes off my diapers when they came out of the wash. Not so fun. Then I started taking them into the kitchen and throwing them into the trash can. Also a hassle. I didnt want to have a diaper pail AND a trash can in the nursery, so I invested in some cloth wipes.

They took a little adjusting to, but I am so glad we made the change. My husband was a little difficult to convince, but once he realized how much a box of the Babyganics wipes cost, he decided to give it a go. Besides the wipes themselves, you may or may not want to invest in a few other things:
  • a spray bottle for moistening the wipes. You could also just put some water or solution in a small bowl, but I have found the spray bottle to be a lot easier and more portable
  • Wipe solution or drops. This isnt neccessary, but I like that the essential oils in the solution are antibacterial. Plus they smell good. We use Baby Bum Drops brand. You can also make your own solution using a mixture of water and essential oils.
  • A wipe case for traveling (or a ziplock baggie). We wet a few wipes and put them in the case if we are going to be out and about. This keeps us from having to bring along the spray bottle.
  • A wipe warmer (Completely unneccessary, but if you wish, you can pour the solution (or water) over the wipes in the warmer to wet them, and they stay nice and warm) We have a wipe warmer someone gave us, but IMO, it is more of a hassle than its worth.
In my previous post, I wrote that you only needed 6-8 wipes to get started. You really probably need as many wipes as you have diapers. When we started out, we werent cloth wiping exclusively, and I wouldnt always use a new wipe for pee diapers (I just turned the wipe over) So 12-16 to start out with is a good number. Once you start using them, you will probably want more. They are really handy for any cleanup (Runny noses, sticky hands, etc) You could also use baby washcloths.

 I like Thirsties wipes and the ones I have made myself the best. I have also tried the MotherEase brand. While they are bigger than the Thirsties brand, they aren’t as soft. I have only ever needed one wipe per diaper change, even on the messiest diapers. My husband, on the other hand, may use a couple. I will post a tutorial on how to make your own cloth wipes soon! I made the ones in the picture last night in no time at all. They are available in my Etsy store.

Get recipes for making your own wipe solution here . I LOVE to use tea tree oil for everything, so I highly recommend using it in your wipe solution. It is antifungal, antiinflammatory, and antibacterial. You can use it for tons of other things as well, including acne and dandruff. You can find it at your local health food store. Aloe vera, chamomile, and lavender are also some of my favorite ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment